In the State of California, if you are injured on the job, you may be able to collect workers’ compensation if the injury prevents you from returning to work. It’s quite possible that you’ve heard someone talk about an injury they suffered outside of the workplace and how they’re collecting those benefits. In such cases, it is actually the disability insurance that pays them. Disability benefits are different from worker’s compensation and generally cannot be paid for both at the same time.

Worker’s Compensation (Workes’Comp) and California State Disability services SDI or EDD. The State of California Employment Development Department states that if a work-related disability has occurred, your employer must be notified as soon as possible, and the medical report must be sent to the worker’s compensation insurance carrier. after being examined.

If your injury or disability is not related to your job, but it still affects your ability to work, you may be eligible for disability benefits, even if your injury occurred on the job, you may be denied a disability claim. worker’s compensation. In such cases, you may still be eligible for disability benefits. Sometimes there is some crossing between both systems.

For example, if a pre-existing disability was made worse by your work activities, you may be eligible to receive both forms of benefits; however, you cannot charge both at the same time. In these cases, you may be able to collect the larger of the two payments or be paid the difference if you receive the smaller amount as compensation.

While workers’ compensation is determined by your employer’s insurance provider, disability benefits are administered by the California State Disability SDI or EDD program. If you were injured at work and are in any of these cases, it is very likely that you will need legal advice or representation to obtain the benefits to which you are entitled, so it is advisable to contact a lawyer dedicated to compensation cases at worker (Workers’ Comp). This article is not intended to serve as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only