Law Offices of David Lowe | California Workers Compensation Lawyer

If you are injured on the job in the State of California, you have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim. However, you must ensure that you follow all established procedures for making your claim. If you don’t follow them you could end up with a denied case.

The first step in the process, according to the Department of Industrial Relations, is to file a claim. The DWC-1 is a form your employer will give you. You must complete it and return it immediately or no later than the day after your injury, but if you do not receive it, you can get it from the Department of Workers’ Compensation website.

Don’t let your employer use this as an excuse not to have a form for not completing it. You need this form to start the claim process. Completing and submitting the form will entitle you to emergency treatment, remember without this form you do not have a valid claim. It will protect you and give you the presumption of a work injury until the State of California DWC makes a decision within 90 calendar days from the date of your claim.

This form allows your employer to start an investigation into the incident and provides you with evidence to use during the process. If you were injured at work and are in any of these cases, it is very likely that you will need legal advice or representation to obtain the benefits to which you are entitled, so it is advisable to contact a lawyer dedicated to compensation cases at worker (Workers’ Comp). This article is not intended to serve as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only.